Start to finish: 35 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
*Notes: This is equally tasty with peaches, and would probably be good with any cookable fruit that you fancy. This recipe also doubles, triples, etc., well. Just be sure to use one pie pan for every 2 servings to ensure even cooking and nice puffing.
Apple Puff Pancake
1 apple, cored and sliced thinly
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
Dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the butter in a pie pan and melt in the oven while it's preheating. When it's melted, take the pan out and swirl the butter around to coat the sides.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the butter. (You can premix them if you want to, but there's no need.) This will create a nice caramel glaze.
- Arrange the apple slices over the butter. There's no special strategy to this. Just try to cover the bottom of the pan relatively evenly.
- Mix together the milk, flour, eggs, and salt. Don't worry if it has lumps in it.
- Pour the batter over the apples in the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and immediately invert onto a plate. The caramel side will be on top. Cut into slices and serve.