Start to finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Tipsy Missionary Toast
2 1-inch slices Hawaiian sweet bread
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (or other orange-flavored liqueur)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup pulpy orange juice (I use 4 pulped mandarins, with the large pieces removed)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix cream, eggs, Grand Marnier, and vanilla.
- Cut two 1-inch slices of Hawaiian sweet bread from the center of the loaf.
- Place bread slices in an 8 x 8 dish. (It doesn't have to be this size. Any dish that will fit both slices without a lot of room left over will do.) Pour the cream mixture over the bread and let it sit.
- Mix the juice or pulped mandarins, sugar, sweetened dried cranberries, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Put the bread slices in the butter, and fry on both sides until golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Put one bread slice on each plate, pour orange sauce over it, and serve.