The only tricky part is adding the egg. Just make sure you keep stirring, or you'll wind up with egg drop soup.
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 cups chicken broth
1 can garbanzo beans (undrained)
1/3 cup white rice or orzo
1 cup shredded carrots
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 bag baby spinach
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the broth, garbanzo beans with their liquid, and rice in a stock pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the carrots. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Cover and cook until the rice is tender but not mushy (about 10 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add the lemon juice, and stir to combine. It will be opaque, smooth, and not very eggy looking at this point.
- This is the tricky part. Ladle 1/2 cup of the broth into the eggs. Stir immediately so the egg doesn't set. Pour the egg mixture into the soup pot, stirring continuously as you do.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the spinach. Stir until it wilts, which should be right away.
- Serve immediately with some nice bread for dipping.