Sunday, March 13, 2011

Breakfast Couscous

In keeping with my recent focus on things to eat in the morning, here's another quick and easy breakfast option. I made this up for a camping trip last summer, but I've made it many times in an actual kitchen since then. I usually prepare everything the night before so that in the morning all I have to do is add hot water. Like the oatmeal "recipes," this is really a series of approximations, and the flavors can certainly be varied. I think this is my favorite flavor combination, though.

Yield: 1 serving
Start to finish: 7 minutes

Breakfast Couscous
1/3 C dry couscous
1/4 t cinnamon
generous pinch cardamom
1 t ground flax seed
1 t brown sugar
2 dried apricots, chopped
1 dried apple ring, chopped
1 T slivered almonds
2/3 C boiling water

1. Put all ingredients except water in a heat-proof bowl.
2. Pour boiling water over couscous, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes until all water is absorbed.
3. Fluff lightly with a fork and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment